Pope Benedict XVI has announced a consistory for the creation of six new Cardinals. To the joy of pilgrims gathered in St Peter's Square for the weekly audience with the Holy Father, he made his announcement at the end of his catechesis. The Cardinals-elect are :
1. Archbishop James Harvey, Prefect of the Pontifical Household;
2. His Beatitude, Bechara Boutros Rai, Patriarch of the Maronite Church;
3. His Beatitude Baselios Cleemis Thottunkal, Major Archbishop of the Syro-Malankara Church;
4. Archbishop John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja Nigeria;
5. Archbishop Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, Colombia;
6. Archbishop Luis Antonio Tagle, Archbishop of Manila, Philippines.
The consistory will take place November 24th next. With six new members the College of Cardinals will count 122 Cardinals eligible to vote in conclave.